Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Unexpected Journey

    
"This is the Story of how a Baggins had an adventure, and found himself doing and saying things altogether unexpected. He may have lost the neighbors' respect, but he gained--well, you will see whether he gained anything in the end."
J.R Tolkin, The Hobbit 

        When I told my parents that I was going to apply for a fellowship to serve with the Dominicans in Kisumu, Kenya I was met with a queer stare, a cocktail of confusion, surprise and skepticism. I have to admit that this declaration was a tad random and I in no way prepared them for what was about to say. Due to my lack of a good filter, that all important mechanism that prevents most people from casually saying whatever pops in their head the moment the thought occurs, unexpected and out of place statements are not abnormal for me. But this one was especially unexpected. Despite the concern of my parents and some friends, sometime in early September of last year I started planning my adventure.
         For the next six weeks, starting June 14th, 2011 I will be searching for a story. The stories of the students at Our Lady of Grace School and the Dominican brothers, sisters and lay people who are such an integral part of the community. Over the course of my five weeks at Our Lady of Grace School I will be interviewing the students and compiling videos of their stories. My goal is to use the stories of the students and the Dominicans to show the Providence College community what the Dominicans do outside of the walls of PC. I also hope to experience the Universal Catholic Church and its role and dynamic outside of he western world. Most of us only experience the Church through our local Parishes and forget its universality. How it connects us to our brothers and sisters in Christ in Africa and throughout the world.
         I am not traveling halfway across the world because I believe I have a wealth of knowledge to bestow on the people of Kenya. I know I cannot solve their problems and I am not going to pretend I know what is right for them. I am going because I want to learn. I want to grow in communion with my brothers and sisters in Kenya. Mother Theresa once said that the materially rich are spiritually poor, where as the poor, though they have very little, are spiritually rich. I have much to learn from the orphaned and abandon children that live at Our Lady of Grace School. I hope that, through the grace of God, I can share a fraction of what I learn from the people of Kenya with all of you.
          So this is my story. It is about a young man, who wishes he was a Hobbit, who is about to have an adventure, and is finding himself doing and saying things altogether more unexpected than usual. Some of his family may now consider him a bit crazy, but he hopes and prays that in the end, by the grace of God, he will have gained something.

Love the poor and your life will be filled with sunlight and you will not be firghtend at the hour of death.
St. Vincent de Paul

2 comments:

  1. Go Tommy! By the way, do all Baggins have hairy toes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true we have much to learn from the poor.Especially in this country we have so much materially and yet many are not joyful or even content. Those who have little are grateful for everything and realize their dependency on God, and therein lies their joy.

    ReplyDelete